Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Stilletto sprints for Shakuhachi

Today appeared to start out like any other day, but maybe a bit of the odd side. I know this might sound strange, but I had that experience where you can’t remember if you were awake, or asleep and dreaming. For some reason I thought I had set my alarm clock back two hours on purpose. Clock said 4am, I thought it was 6am. So I lay there, arguing with myself as to whether I should get up or go back to sleep for another 20 mins and risk being late for my 9am meeting. Inevitably I fell asleep again (if I was even awake to begin with!) and woke up when the alarm went off at 6am.

A very odd start, but then it got more left of centre. I’m a fairly typical Melbourne girl, and generally wear our standard uniform in shades of black and grey. Today, in honour of the crispness of the temperature and the touch of winter sun, I choose a rather eclectic spring colour palette – yellow, orange, hot pink and brown Claude de Alban summer dress over black long sleeve tee and tights with knee high brown stiletto boots. Add a hot pink coat and scarf – I look like a flower bouquet – and off to work. In a city like Melbourne, I now stood out like a sore thumb (literally, due to all the pink!). So with all these people looking at the girl in the strange bright outfit, it seemed fitting that today I would develop a rather unpleasant static issue. My skirt is clinging to my butt and my hair has a mind of its own.

I don’t know why I am so statically charged today! What causes this? And more to the point, how do I get rid of it? I have static spray – but it’s at home. I also have hairspray. Also at home. I needed a miracle cure! While trawling the web for a quick fix at lunch, a fleeting check of Twitter bought my attention to today’s Project Runway OZ competition.

Those who follow me on Twitter will know that yesterday I missed out on the Hussy dress at DFO by mere seconds, so when I saw that the team were again in my territory, I threw on my coat to cover the static cling and took to the streets! 15 minutes and a tram ride later, I was manically checking Twitter on my iphone to ensure the prize had not yet been claimed and missed the tram stop! Result – a girl in a hot pink coat and knee high stiletto boots running down the Paris end of Collins Street towards the Regent theatre (comment if you saw me!).

But it was worth it, because I won! After a minute of getting my breath back, I became the proud owner of a Shakuhachi dress. Unfortunately a size 8, but the thrill of winning is enough for me! You can check out all the Shakuhachi designs here www.shakuhachi.net.au

I also won a CocoLee voucher for being runner up yesterday – a gorgeous online fashion boutique where I can shop up a storm - can’t wait to find a bargain! www.cocolee.com.au

And so my afternoon at work has been a bit of an anticlimax after such an exciting lunchbreak. My static cling and aching feet have kept me confined to the desk and I am now considering the benefits of doing away with hosiery all together as I can’t possibly continue to walk around like this! But for future reference, I will bring the static spray back to my office drawer, and endeavour to wear more sensible shoes when planning on running in the pursuit of designer dresses.

Don’t forget Project Runway Australia, starting tonight on Foxtel, 8.30opm!

1 comment: