Sunday, July 19, 2009

More good reasons I should live in the city

Ahh, weekend number 2 as a city dweller. I have stepped up the hunt for the perfect city pad, and lament the fact that I am going to have to go home for a while before I get to come back. From Friday at 5pm to Sunday (about now), I have enjoyed every second of my second weekend here. It is just so easy to get around, be somewhere in 15 minutes and make decisions at the spur of the moment.

First up Friday night was Bertha Brown, a relatively new bar on Flinders Street. The work crew wandered down for the end of week festivities, and found a fabulous new watering hole for the cool and chic. $12 cocktails are just the beginning, you can relax in lounge room type settings with couches, or sit around tables that have a desk and school chair feel. There are also booths for those looking for something more intimate. The large U shaped venue uses effective lighting and décor, with groovy tunes to create a soothing atmosphere perfect for a wind down beverage. They also do a $5 pizza lunch special, so head on down and check them out - and try the Bertha’s Passion cocktail. I promise you won’t regret it.

Bertha Brown
www.bethabrown.com.au
562 Flinders Street
Melbourne 3000
9629 1207

Then the beauty of being so close to the city – I headed back to my pad for a quick costume change before meeting a friend and walking (walking!) to Chapel Street for dinner. Yes, it was chilly and I opted to forgo the heels for an evening, but so worth the walk on such a clear night. We found a little Japanese place and stayed a while, before the brisk walk back in the cool night air.

My first trip on public transport at night was to the MCG for the Collingwood v Hawthorn game last night. I rugged up for the evening and jumped on the tram to Flinders Street at the end of the road. A gentleman on the tram raving we should starve ourselves for cats and dogs was only slightly unnerving, before I switched to the train and headed out to Richmond. Cold and Collingwood supporter’s aside, the game started quite well. The Hawks weren’t doing too badly and the one lunatic Collingwood supporter behind us was gracefully evicted – I am sure something to do with his language at a family affair. I was actually surprised to see so many kids out last night; guess you have to start them young!! In case you hadn’t heard, Hawthorn ran away with the game in the end, and I couldn’t have been happier getting the tram back home with the other supporters later that night.

And today I woke up to glaring sunshine, blue skies and a spring in my step. I bounced down to Chapel Street for breakfast at Globe, where the coffee wasn’t bad, but the muesli and yoghurt were worth the wait. A wander along the strip, a bag full of groceries and a visit to the Prahran market later, I headed home again, where I am about to head out for another lap of the lake on such a pleasant afternoon.

Globe Café
www.globecafe.com.au
218 Chapel Street
Prahran 3181
9510 8693

Don’t forget Masterchef finale tonight – who is your money on? I’d like to see Julie win but time will tell! I think the real winner here is Channel 10. Who would have thought it would be such a success?

No comments:

Post a Comment